This festive wreath makes an impressive holiday gift or housewarming.
- 5 cups flour plus extra for dusting
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1 ½ cups lukewarm water
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup shelled pistachios
- 1 orange
- ½ cup raspberry jam
- Sift the flour into a bowl and mix in 2 tbsp of the sugar and the yeast. Gradually add the water. Add 1 egg and salt to the batter and mix to combine.
- Pour onto clean, dusted surface and knead until smooth. Shape into a ball and dust with flour. Place in a bowl, covered and leave in a warm place for 50 min.
- Add the pistachios and remaining sugar to a food processor and grind finely. Zest the orange.
- Separate the remaining egg, saving the yolk. Pulse white and orange zest into pistachio mixture to form a paste. Remove the paste and form into an 18-inch log.
- Knead the dough again and roll out into a 14-inch x 18-inch rectangle. Place on a sheet of parchment paper.
- Spread the jam evenly on the bottom ⅔ of the dough, leaving a ½-inch border. Place the pistachio log on the remaining ⅓ of the dough.
- Starting at the bottom, roll the dough over the jam until you reach the pistachio log. Starting from the top, roll the dough over the pistachio log to meet the first roll.
- Take the 2 ends and bend to form a ring, making sure the pistachio ring is in the center and the jam ring is on the outside. Pinch the ends together to hold.
- Cut the outer ring into 2-inch pieces.
- Twist each piece upward so the cut side faces up. Continue around the outside of the ring.
- Cover with a clean towel and leave for 25 min. to rise in a warm, draft-free place.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Brush the bread wreath with remaining egg yolk and bake on middle rack until golden brown, 25 min. Cover with foil if the crown gets too brown.
- s5 2016
- Calories 331kcal 17%
- Fat 4.1g 6%
- Saturated fat 0.7g 4%
- Sugars 19.5g 22%
- Salt 0.54g 9%
- 62.2g carbohydrate
- 2.8g fiber
- 8.3g protein
- 42mg cholesterol