With the help of a slow cooker and a flavorful marinade, pork shoulder becomes a delicious topping for crispy tortillas with plenty of leftovers for a different meal.
- 4 lb boneless pork shoulder or butt
- 1 (16 oz) jar jarred organic medium salsa
- 1 cup Mexican dark beer
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tbsp minced chipotle chilies + adobo sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 16 corn tostadas
- diced avocado, for garnish (optional)
- sour cream, for garnish (optional)
- Place the pork in a gallon-size bag and add the salsa and beer. Seal and refrigerate at least 12 hours, turning pork occasionally.
- Lightly coat the inside of a 5–6 qt slow cooker with the cooking spray. Place pork, fat-side up, in slow cooker. Season pork with salt and pepper. Pour marinade on top. To slow cooker, add the onion, chipotle chilies and adobo, garlic, and cumin. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low 8–10 hours, until pork is fork-tender.
- Transfer pork to a medium bowl, reserving cooking liquid. If desired, use a spoon to skim fat from top of cooking liquid. Using 2 forks, shred pork, discarding any fat, and return to the cooking liquid in slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, stir together ¼ cup cooking liquid and the cornstarch. Add to slow cooker. Cook on high, uncovered, 5–7 min., until thickened to desired consistency. To serve, spoon pork onto the tostadas. Top with the avocado and sour cream, if desired.
To serve as another meal for 4, reserve 2½ cups shredded pork mixture. In large bowl, combine pork with 1 (8.8 oz) pkg Nature’s Promise Precooked Mexican Style Rice, reheated in microwave; 1 cup frozen peas, thawed; and ½ (16 oz) pkg frozen mixed pepper strips, thawed. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a greased 2-qt baking dish, top with ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese, and bake at 375°F 20 min., until cheese is browned and bubbling.
This recipe is
- guiding star
- May 2021
- Egg Free