Here’s a holiday hack we love: Instead of baking gingerbread for houses, use graham crackers. They’re easy to stack, trim, and assemble, so you can get right to decorating. If your kids want to get straight to decorating, use a glue gun for fast assembly but no consuming.
- 1 (14.4 oz) box graham crackers
- 1 (8 oz) pkg white decorating icing
Assorted Candy For Decorating:
- Strawberry licorice straps
- Peppermint Starlight Mints
- Candy-coated chocolate pieces
- 1 (12 oz) box Corn Chex ™ Cereal
- 1 (12 oz) box Wheat Chex ™ Cereal
- Pretzel sticks
- Unsweetened shredded coconut
- For the base, place 2 graham cracker sheets side by side. Pipe icing between crackers to stick. Repeat with 2 cracker sheets for the top. Pipe icing along remaining edges of cracker base. Add cracker sheets to each side at a 90° angle. Pipe icing on top edges of crackers and carefully add cracker top to create a rectangular box.
- Place 2 graham cracker sheets side by side. Pipe icing between crackers to stick. Repeat with 2 cracker sheets. Pipe icing on the outer edges of the box to stick on the crackers. Lean crackers at an angle so the top edges touch in the middle. Seal roof edges with icing.
- Using a serrated knife, cut diagonal pieces off the corners of 2 graham cracker sheets to fit in bottom two-thirds of roof hole. Break 1 graham cracker sheet into two squares. Cut each square into a triangle to fit in the top third of each roof hole. Seal triangles to edges of roofs with icing. Let set 1–2 hours. (If the house won’t be eaten, use a hot glue gun instead of icing and decorate when set.)
- Place the candies into cups of a muffin tin or separate small bowls for decorating. Using icing, decorate house with assorted candies. Add the Chex™ cereal in alternating rows for roof shingles. Add pretzels for logs, and shredded coconut for snow, if desired.
If desired, pipe or spread green decorating icing onto sugar cones to create trees for the house.
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- 10 Minutes
- Egg Free
- Celebration Moments
- December 2022