The classic casserole side dish gets upgraded by using a slow cooker in this easy recipe. Cinnamon, orange juice, and ginger bring out the holiday flavors of these sweet candied yams.
- Cooking spray
- 3 lbs medium yams or sweet potatoes
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 ¼ cups freshly squeezed orange juice (from about 4 navel oranges)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 4 tbsp (½ stick) unsalted butter, sliced
- Lightly coat the inside of a 6-qt slow cooker with the cooking spray. Peel the yams or sweet potatoes. Halve each yam or sweet potato lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces. Place in slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and orange juice until smooth. Add the brown sugar, cinnamon, and ginger and mix until combined. Pour orange juice mixture over yams and mix to coat. Top with the butter slices.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 5–6 hours, stirring halfway through. Serve warm.
This recipe is
- Plant Forward
- Nut Free
- Wheat Free
- gluten free
- October November 2022
- Celebration Moments
- Egg Free