This Cajun-style gumbo is made with a classic roux, shredded chicken, sausage, and okra. Try a soup exchange for your next potluck and let this steaming hot bowl of gumbo warm the bellies of your guests.
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (10 oz) pkg mirepoix (diced onions, celery, carrots)
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14 oz) pkg turkey smoked sausage, sliced ¼-inch thick
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 tsp low-sodium Cajun or Creole seasoning
- 4 cups shredded rotisserie or cooked chicken
- 1 (16 oz) pkg frozen cut okra, thawed (optional)
- 1 cup finely chopped green onions
- 2 (8.8 oz) pkgs precooked Nature's Promise® White Rice
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium. Add the flour and cook 4–5 min., until it turns a dark golden color and smells nutty, stirring constantly.
- To pot, stir in the mirepoix and bell peppers. Cook 5–7 min. until softened, stirring constantly so roux doesn’t burn. Stir in the garlic and sausage and cook 1 min.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add the chicken broth and water. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the Cajun seasoning, shredded chicken, and okra, if using. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook 10 min. Season with salt and pepper. Heat rice according to package directions. Ladle into bowls and garnish with the green onions and rice.
You can toast the flour for your roux ahead of time to skip the stirring. To a stainless-steel skillet, add 1 cup flour. Bake at 425°F on the middle rack until the color of brown sugar or cinnamon, stirring occasionally so it browns evenly. (Keep in mind that it will brown faster as it starts to change color.) Remove toasted flour from the skillet. To use in gumbo, gradually add room-temperature broth to the flour to create a paste, whisking until smooth.
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- one pot
- Nut Free
- October November 2022
- Guiding Stars
- Lactose Free
- Egg Free