Step up your pie game with a flaky, buttery cinnamon roll crust. Topped with a brown butter crumble, this apple pie is a delicious spin on a classic dessert.
- 3 lbs Golden Delicious apples (5 to 6 apples)
- ½ cup packed brown sugar, divided
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tsp apple pie spice or cinnamon, divided
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter, softened and divided
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (17.5 oz) pkg jumbo cinnamon rolls
- Cooking spray
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Peel, core, and thinly slice the apples into about ⅛-inch thick slices. In a large bowl, toss apples with ¼ cup brown sugar, the granulated sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, 2 tsp apple pie spice, and a pinch of salt.
- In a 12-inch skillet, melt 2 tbsp butter on medium-high. Add apples and any liquid to skillet. Cook 15-18 min., until apples are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, to a small bowl, add remaining 3 tbsp softened butter, remaining ¼ cup brown sugar, remaining 1 tsp apple pie spice, and the flour. With clean hands, mix together until crumbly. Freeze crumble mixture until needed.
- Separate the cinnamon rolls into 5 rolls, reserving the icing for serving. Using a serrated knife, slice each cinnamon roll in half horizontally to make 10 rolls. Coat a glass 9-inch pie plate with the cooking spray. Place 1 cinnamon roll in the center of the plate and press flat. Working around it, press rolls to cover the bottom with no gaps (rolls can overlap).
- Add apple filling to cinnamon roll pie shell, along with any residual syrup from skillet, mounding apples in center. Top with crumble mixture. Bake 20–25 min., until top is golden brown. Cool about 1 hour, until pie is room temperature. Before serving, if desired, use a spoon to drizzle reserved glaze from cinnamon rolls over the pie (if glaze is too thick, thin out with 1 tsp of milk or water). Serve with ice cream, if desired.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- Cinnamon Roll
- October November 2022
- Celebration Moments