Enjoy a handheld style of this savory grilled steak dinner, inspired by traditional Korean ssäm. The pear in the marinade both adds sweetness and tenderizes the meat.
- 1 (1.3 lb) boneless sirloin steak
- 2 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp gochujang (Korean spicy chili paste), plus more for serving
- 1 medium ripe pear, cored and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped green onion, plus more for serving
- 1 tsp sesame seeds, plus more for serving
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 1 (8.8 oz) pkg pre-cooked Nature's Promise® White Rice, for serving
- 2 heads Bibb or butter lettuce, leaves separated
- Kimchi, for serving (optional)
- Wrap the steak tightly in plastic and freeze for 30–40 min. To a blender, add the soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, garlic, gochujang, and pear. Season with salt and pepper. Blend 1–2 min., until smooth. Transfer marinade to a large resealable plastic bag.
- Unwrap steak and cut across the grain into ¼-inch-thick slices. Add sliced steak to bag with marinade, along with the green onion and sesame seeds. Seal bag and shake to thoroughly coat steak. Refrigerate to marinate for 90 min.–2 hours.
- When ready to cook, preheat a grill or grill pan over medium-high and brush with 1 tbsp vegetable oil. Remove steak from marinade and shake off excess. Working in batches, add steak to grill in a single layer. Cook 2–3 min. per side, flipping once, until lightly charred. Transfer cooked steak to a plate. Repeat with remaining vegetable oil and steak.
- Meanwhile, heat the rice according to package directions. To serve, fill lettuce leaves with rice and steak. Top with the green onions, sesame seeds, and kimchi, if desired.
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free
- May 2022
- Guiding Stars
- Lactose Free
- Korean BBQ
- Egg Free