Conquer leftover night with this easy and tasty weeknight dinner recipe that helps you use up anything in your fridge.
- 2 lbs potatoes and/or root vegetables
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 (8 oz) pkg mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (16 oz) bag frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 1 lb ground meat, such as beef, turkey, or chicken
- 1 tbsp flour
- ¾ cup broth, such as beef, chicken, or vegetable broth
- ¼ cup low-fat milk
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Peel and cut the potatoes and root vegetables, if using, into 1-inch pieces. Place in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water to 1 inch above vegetables. Season with salt and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 min., until fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet, heat the oil on medium-high. Add the onion and mushrooms. Sauté 6–8 min., until soft. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the peas and carrots and cook 2 min., until warm.
- To skillet with mushroom mixture, add the ground meat. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 5–7 min., until meat is browned, stirring and breaking up with back of spoon. Stir in the flour. Slowly add the broth, stirring constantly. Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
- When potatoes and/or root vegetables are done, drain and return to pot. Add the milk and butter. If using just potatoes, mash with a fork or potato masher. If also using root vegetables, use an immersion blender or transfer to a high-speed blender and pulse until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the mashed potato mixture over the meat mixture in the skillet. Bake for 30 min., until browned and bubbling. Broil for the last 2–3 min. to brown and crisp the surface of the potatoes, if desired.
You can substitute 5 cups of finely chopped leftover vegetables for the mushrooms and frozen vegetables.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- Budget Friendly
- Guiding Stars
- April 2022
- Meal Prep
- Egg Free