Making your own kale-packed pesto gives this plant-forward trendy breakfast a hearty twist featuring two good-mood foods (pumpkin seeds and kale).
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3 cups packed baby kale leaves
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- Cooking spray
- 4 large eggs, divided
- Sliced bread, to serve (optional)
- In a food processor, pulse the pumpkin seeds and garlic until finely chopped. To food processor, add the kale, parsley, Parmesan, and 2 tbsp water. Season with salt and pepper. Pulse until mixture is mostly smooth. Through the feeder tube, pour in the oil, pulsing to emulsify. If pesto is too thick, add another 1–2 tbsp water. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a 10-inch nonstick pan on medium and coat with the cooking spray. Add ¼ cup kale pesto to pan. Crack 2 eggs into pesto mixture, spacing evenly.
Cook 3 min., or until whites are set. Flip and cook for 30 sec. more, until whites are just set. Remove from pan and season with salt and pepper. Repeat with ¼ cup kale pesto and remaining 2 eggs. Serve with the bread, if desired. Refrigerate remaining kale pesto for later use.
Add your leftover pesto to pasta or use as a dipping sauce for bread or vegetables.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- Fifteen Minute
- February March 2022
- Guiding Stars
- 15 Minutes