Spicy jalapeños, coffee, and ground beef set this Southwestern-inspired recipe apart from other bean dishes. Serve for dinner with cornbread or as a side dish alongside grilled ribs or chicken.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lb 90% lean ground beef
- 2 (15.5 oz) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.5 oz) can reduced-sodium kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup smoky barbecue sauce
- ½ cup strongly brewed coffee
- 2 tbsp spicy brown mustard
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot, heat the oil on medium-high. Add the onion and jalapeños. Cook 5–6 min., until tender, stirring often. Add the garlic and cook 2 min., stirring.
- Add the ground beef and season with salt and pepper. Cook beef until browned, 5–7 min., stirring and breaking up beef with back of spoon.
- To Dutch oven, add the beans, barbecue sauce, and coffee. Stir to combine. Heat to a boil on high and then reduce to a simmer. Cook 15–20 min., until thickened and beef is cooked through, stirring occasionally. Stir in the mustard. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- June 2021
- Nut Free
- Wheat Free
- Guiding Stars
- Lactose Free