This creamy picnic classic gets a dash of Fourth of July flair with the addition of crunchy blue corn tortillas and red beet chips.
- 1 lb elbow pasta
- ⅓ cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup light sour cream
- 1 cup crushed blue corn tortillas and red beet chips
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta to al dente according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, add the red onion to a medium bowl. Cover with cold water and let stand at least 10 min. In a large serving bowl, whisk together vinegar, sugar, and garlic powder until sugar dissolves.
- To a colander set in the sink, add the red onion to drain. Rinse with cold water. Drain cooked pasta in same colander, adding to red onion. Rinse with cold water until cool. Shake off as much excess water as possible. Add both to large bowl with vinegar and toss to combine.
- To pasta, add the bell peppers, celery, mayonnaise, and sour cream. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 1 day. To serve, stir pasta salad and crumble the tortilla chips on top.
This recipe is
- June 2021
- Nut Free
- guiding star