Pair this vinegary German-inspired side salad with hearty grilled meats like ribs, sausages, or steak at your next picnic or backyard cookout.
- 3 medium carrots, peeled
- 2 English cucumbers
- ½ cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh dill
- On the large holes of a box grater, coarsely grate the carrots into a large bowl.
- With a vegetable peeler, remove half the peel from the cucumbers lengthwise, alternating to create stripes. Thinly slice cucumbers and add to carrots in bowl.
- In a small bowl, stir together the vinegar, sugar, and salt until salt and sugar dissolve. Add dressing to cucumbers, along with the dill. Toss to combine. Refrigerate 2 hours or up to 1 day. Season with salt to taste. Serve using a slotted spoon.
For the most even cucumber slices, use a mandoline.
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free
- Wheat Free
- gluten free
- May 2021
- Lactose Free
- Egg Free