Cheddar cheese and smoky bacon jazz up plain old broccoli in this side dish that’s great for barbecues, picnics, or just a weeknight dinner at home.
- 5 slices bacon
- 3 medium heads broccoli, trimmed
- ½ cup light mayonnaise
- ½ cup low-fat buttermilk
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 large clove garlic
- 4 oz sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- ¼ cup roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
- Finely chop the bacon. In a 10-inch skillet on medium, cook bacon 8–10 min., until crispy, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the broccoli florets (around 8 cups). To a large bowl, add the mayonnaise, buttermilk, lemon juice, green onions, and sugar. Finely grate the garlic into dressing. Whisk to combine.
- To dressing, add broccoli, cheese, sunflower seeds, and half of bacon. Toss to combine. Season with salt to taste. Garnish with remaining bacon.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- gluten free
- Wheat Free
- May 2021
- Celebrations Made Easy Cookbook