Turn your favorite picnic food into mini sandwiches that are as delicious at room temperature as they are hot. Make these for everything from a fun dinner inside to your next backyard get-together.
- ½ cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 (about 4 oz each) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup shredded slaw mix
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 6 slider buns, lightly toasted
- 12 dill pickle slices (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk, garlic powder, paprika, and ½ tsp each salt and pepper. Cut each chicken thigh in half and add to bowl. Stir to combine. Place the flour in a shallow dish.
- Working with 1 piece of chicken at a time, remove from buttermilk, letting excess drip off, and add to flour, tossing to coat. Return to cutting board. Repeat with remaining chicken pieces.
- In a deep 10-inch skillet, heat the oil on medium-high until hot but not smoking (325°F on deep-fry thermometer). Gently add chicken to oil and reduce heat to medium. Cook 12–15 min., until golden brown and cooked through (165°F on an instant read thermometer), turning occasionally and adjusting heat to maintain temperature as needed.
- Meanwhile, arrange a wire rack over a large piece of parchment or foil. In a medium bowl, toss the slaw mix and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place cooked chicken on wire rack and season with salt. Serve warm or at room temperature. When ready to serve, arrange on the slider buns. Top with slaw and pickles, if desired.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- Guiding Stars
- May 2021
- Egg Free