Inspired by Mexican salsa roja, this sauce gets its deep, smoky flavor from the broiler. Serve it with scrambled eggs, quesadillas, nachos, or tacos for your next Cinco de Mayo celebration.
- 1 ½ lbs fresh plum tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and cut into eighths
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 jalapeno chili, halved lengthwise
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat broiler on high. Line a sheet pan with foil. To prepared pan, add the tomatoes, onion, garlic, and jalapeño. Broil about 2–4 inches from heat source 8–10 min., until mostly charred, rotating the pan if needed. Remove from oven and let cool. Peel garlic and remove stem from jalapeño.
- To a food processor, add tomatoes, onion, garlic, jalapeño, and any juices from pan. Pulse until mostly smooth. Transfer to a bowl or airtight container and season with salt to taste. Stir in the cilantro. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 1 week.
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free
- gluten free
- Wheat Free
- Guiding Stars
- May 2021
- Lactose Free
- Egg Free