A twist on a classic comfort food pairing, this vegetarian recipe is sure to become a family favorite. Mini grilled cheese is served right on top of the soup so every bite is the perfect combo.
- 2 (28 oz) can Nature's Promise Whole Peeled Tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- Cooking spray
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 8 slices American or Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup low-fat milk
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, cut up
- To a large slow cooker, add the whole peeled tomatoes, tomato paste, onion, garlic, broth, oregano, sugar, and salt. Season with pepper. Cover and cook on high 7–8 hours.
- Forty-five minutes before serving, preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large sheet pan with parchment. Lightly coat parchment with the cooking spray.
- Arrange bread slices on sheet pan and coat tops with cooking spray. Toast bread 6–8 min., until browned on top. Flip bread slices and toast another 5 min. Place 1 slice cheese on each bread slice. Toast 2 min., until cheese begins to melt. Sandwich bread slices together to form 4 sandwiches. Toast another 4–5 min., until golden brown on both sides. Remove from oven.
- To slow cooker, add the milk and butter, stirring until butter is melted. With immersion blender, purée soup until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cut each grilled cheese into 9 cubes. Divide soup among serving bowls. Top with mini grilled cheeses.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- April 2021
- Egg Free