A buttery, gluten-free pastry crust is the base for this cheesy vegetarian quiche that can be served hot or at room temperature for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner.
- 1 ½ cups gluten free all-purpose flour blend (containing xanthan gum and/or guar gum)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) very cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 3 - 5 tbsp ice water
- ½ lb asparagus spears, trimmed
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup half & half
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- ½ cup crumbled fat-free feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a food processor, pulse the flour and salt to combine. Add half of the butter (placing remaining butter in freezer). Pulse until butter is cut into pea-size crumbs. Add remaining butter and pulse until butter is crumbly.
- Drizzle 3 tbsp ice water over flour mixture. Pulse to combine. Continue adding ice water 1 tbsp at a time, pulsing in between, until mixture holds together when squeezed.
- Place parchment or wax paper on top of cutting board. Pat dough into a ball and top with another sheet of wax or parchment. Flatten into a disk and roll into ¼-inch thickness. Transfer dough to a 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom, gently tucking into corners. With rolling pin, roll over top of tart pan to trim excess dough from pan.
- Slice the asparagus on an angle. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and half & half. Season with salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over the dough in pan and add asparagus. Sprinkle the dill and feta on top. Place on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet and bake 35–40 min., until set in center. Let stand at room temperature at least 10 min. or up to 2 hours. Remove outer rim of pan before serving.
To remove the outer rim of a tart pan easily, place a medium bowl upside down on your counter. Place the entire tart pan on top. Put both hands on either side of the pan, then use fingers to push the bottom up and thumbs to push the sides down to separate.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- gluten free
- Wheat Free
- April 2021