Whether you call it a hoagie, sub, or hero, vegetarians and meat eaters alike will love this sandwich loaded with sharp provolone and a combo of roasted and pickled veggies.
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 medium bell peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 4 (8-inch) sub rolls
- 1 (14 oz) jar quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 8 pepperoncini, drained, stems removed and halved lengthwise
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 2 plum tomatoes, very thinly sliced
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 425°F. In a large bowl, toss the onion and peppers with the oregano and 2 tbsp oil. Season with salt. Spread into an even layer on a large sheet pan. Bake 20 min., until browned and tender.
- To assemble sandwiches, split the rolls. Divide all the roasted vegetables, artichokes, and pepperoncini among rolls. Top with the cheese.
- Top with tomato slices. Drizzle with the vinegar and remaining 2 tbsp oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cut each hoagie roll into 3 pieces.
To serve these melty and warm, pop the sandwiches in the preheated oven for 5 min. after topping with cheese in step 2. Continue with step 3.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- February March 2021
- Egg Free