Try this nutritionist-approved tip: Combine whole-grain pasta and white pasta to get your family used to the added fiber. Lean protein and veggies mean everyone leaves the table satisfied.
- 4 oz regular white spaghetti
- 8 oz whole grain spaghetti
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb raw peeled, deveined shrimp (thawed, if frozen)
- 2 large bell peppers, seeded and very thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 small bunch kale, tough stems removed, finely chopped
- 1 large lemon
- Heat a large pot of salted water to a boil on high. Add the regular spaghetti and cook 3 min. Add the whole-grain spaghetti and cook 7 min., until both pastas are cooked through. Reserve ½ cup cooking liquid, then drain.
- Meanwhile, in a 12-inch skillet, heat the oil on medium-high. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper and add to skillet in single layer. Cook 2 min. per side, until browned and cooked through. Transfer to a bowl.
- Reduce heat under skillet to medium. Add the bell peppers. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 5–6 min., until peppers start to soften, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook 1 min., stirring. In batches, stir in the kale until wilted. Cook vegetables together 2–3 min., until kale stems are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Return pasta to empty pot and add vegetable mixture and shrimp. From lemon, grate 2 tsp zest and squeeze 2–3 tbsp juice into pot. Toss to combine. Add cooking liquid to moisten, as needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free
- guiding star
- January 2021
- Lactose Free
- Egg Free