This budget-friendly, vegan recipe includes homemade croutons that add major crunch to puréed soup. Enjoy this for lunch or as a light dinner.
- 4 thin slices bread cut into ¼-inch cubes
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 large head broccoli
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (32 oz) container low-sodium vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a medium bowl, toss the bread cubes with 1 tbsp oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread out on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Bake 8–10 min., until golden brown and crispy, stirring once halfway through. Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, heat remaining 2 tbsp oil on medium. Add the onion and celery. Season with salt. Cook 6–7 min., until vegetables begin to soften, stirring occasionally.
- While onion cooks, cut the broccoli into small florets. Cut and remove peel from broccoli stems. Slice stems.
- Add garlic to pot and cook 2 min., until golden, stirring often. Add broccoli florets and stems and broth. Partially cover and heat to a boil on high. Reduce heat and simmer 15 min., until broccoli is very tender.
- With immersion blender, purée soup. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve soup topped with croutons.
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- Budget Friendly
- Nut Free
- $10 Meals
- guiding star
- January 2021
- Lactose Free
- Egg Free