An easy marinade buzzed up in the blender is the key to these tender chicken thighs. Add more chilies or use 1 habañero for even more fiery flavor.
- 1 (2-inch) chunk fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 green onions, cut up, plus more for garnish
- 1 -2 serrano chilies
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (around 3 ½ lbs)
- Limes, for garnish (optional)
- In a blender or food processor, pulse the ginger, garlic, green onions, serrano chili, and thyme until finely chopped. Add the allspice, brown sugar, soy sauce, lime juice, and olive oil. Purée until mostly smooth. Reserve ¼ cup.
- In a large resealable plastic bag or baking dish, combine remaining marinade with the chicken, turning to coat. Refrigerate overnight or up to 1 day. Refrigerate reserved ¼ cup marinade separately.
- Transfer chicken and marinade in bag to a large slow cooker. Arrange each chicken thigh in slow cooker bowl with sides tucked under. Cover and cook on low 6–7 hours, until chicken is cooked through but not falling apart.
- Preheat broiler. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and arrange chicken on pan. Brush chicken with reserved ¼ cup marinade. Broil 3–4 min. for a slight char. To serve, garnish with green onions and limes, if desired.
To round out the meal, serve with rice or roasted sweet potatoes.
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free
- Oct/Nov 2020
- Lactose Free
- Egg Free