Warm spices and seasonings like curry powder, ginger, and garlic brighten up this vegetarian sweet potato and carrot soup made right in your slow cooker.
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 (½-inch) chunk fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 (32 oz) container low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Sliced green onions, for garnish
- Baguette, for serving (optional)
- In a 10-inch skillet, heat the oil on medium. Add the onion and ginger. Season with salt. Cook 5–7 min., until onions begin to soften, stirring often. Add the garlic and curry powder. Cook 2 min., stirring often. Stir in ¼ cup broth, scraping up any browned bits. Transfer contents of skillet to a slow cooker bowl.
- To slow cooker, add the carrots, sweet potatoes, and remaining broth. Season with salt. Cover and cook 6–8 hours on low, until carrots and sweet potatoes are very tender.
- In batches in blender or with immersion blender, purée soup until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the lemon juice. Garnish with the green onions and serve with the baguette, if desired.
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free
- Oct/Nov 2020
- guiding star
- Wheat Free
- Lactose Free
- Egg Free