Packaged brown rice makes this cheesy casserole easy to pull off. Pair this recipe with a tossed salad for a balanced, vegetarian dinner.
- 1 (15.9 oz) pkg Nature's Promise Precooked Whole Grain Brown Rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups reduced-fat milk
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 6 oz Cheddar cheese, coarsely grated, divided
- 1 (16 oz) pkg frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Heat the rice according to package directions.
- In a medium pot, heat the oil and butter on medium until melted. Sprinkle in the flour. Cook 2 min., stirring constantly. Gradually whisk in the milk until smooth. Heat to a boil on high, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer 2 min. Stir in the thyme, onion powder, and most of the Cheddar, reserving ⅓, until smooth.
- Into pot, stir the broccoli and rice until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a 1½-qt baking dish. Top with reserved Cheddar. Cover with foil and bake 15–20 min., until hot.
This recipe is
- April 2020
- Nut Free
- guiding star
- Egg Free