The combo of a full-bodied stout and a light lager brings unexpected depth to this essential St. Patrick’s Day dinner.
- 1 (11.2 oz) bottle stout beer
- 1 (12 oz) bottle lager
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 (3 ½ lb) corned beef brisket with spice packet
- 1 ½ lbs baby potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 large carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- ½ head green cabbage, cut into ¼-inch wedges
- spicy brown mustard, to serve
- Into a 5- to 6-qt slow cooker, add the beer, beef broth, and thyme. Season the brisket with salt and pepper and add to slow cooker fat-side up, sprinkling spices from the packet on top.
- Top brisket with the potatoes and carrots. Cover and cook on high 4–5 hours, until brisket is tender.
- When brisket is tender, place the cabbage over beef. Cover and cook 30 min.–1 hour on high, until cabbage is wilted and tender.
- Remove corned beef and slice against the grain. Serve with vegetables and mustard.
If your corned beef brisket doesn’t come with a pickling spice packet, add 1 tbsp jarred pickling spice.
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free
- February March 2020
- Lactose Free
- Egg Free
- Calories 511kcal 26%
- Fat 30.1g 46%
- Saturated fat 9.4g 47%
- Carbs 21.3g 7%
- Sodium 2499mg 104%
- 2.7g sugar
- 3.7g fiber
- 32.0g protein
- 107mg cholesterol