Garlic goes from pungent to sweet when roasted, giving these creamy, dreamy potatoes a delicious flavor boost.
- 1 whole bulb garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 tbsp salt, plus more to taste
- ½ cup half & half
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Separate the cloves of garlic in the bulb. Remove and discard any loose papery skin, but leave cloves unpeeled. Toss with the olive oil and place in center of a double layer of foil. Wrap up tightly and place in oven. Roast 20–30 min., until very tender.
- Meanwhile, cut the potatoes into quarters and place in a large pot. Add enough water to cover by 1 inch. Add the salt. Heat to a boil on high, partially covered. Reduce heat and simmer 20–25 min., until very tender.
- Unwrap garlic and let cool. When cool to the touch, squeeze each garlic clove out of its peel.
- Drain potatoes well and return to pot. Add the half & half, butter, and roasted garlic. Mash until smooth. Season with salt to taste. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with the parsley.
To serve 4: Cut the ingredients in half.
To serve 16: Double all the ingredients except for the salt and half & half. Use 1¼ cups half & half. Use 1½ tbsp salt to season water.
Roast and squeeze the garlic up to 1 day in advance. Place in a small airtight container, cover with olive oil, and refrigerate.
- November 2019