Salty Asiago cheese complements the sweetness of these roasted squash quarters, rendering them hearty with an almost meaty texture packed with umami.
- 2 small butternut squash
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 3 small sage leaves, finely chopped
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ cup finely grated Asiago cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Quarter the squash lengthwise. With a spoon, remove the seeds.
- Brush cut-sides of squash with 2 tbsp oil and season with salt. Arrange squash quarters on a baking sheet, cut-sides down. Roast 30 min., until tender, turning to other cut-sides halfway through.
- In a small nonstick skillet, melt the butter on medium. Add the bread crumbs, thyme, sage, and garlic powder. Cook 2–3 min., until golden brown, stirring often. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the Asiago.
- To serve, arrange the squash quarters cut-sides up and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
To make it spicy, stir ¼ tsp crushed red pepper into the bread crumb mixture.
- In Season
- October 2019
- Guiding Stars