A take on classic eggplant baba ghanoush, this dip adds grilled tomatoes for additional smokiness and sweetness. Leftovers can do double duty as a pasta sauce.
- 2 (about 2 lbs total) large eggplants
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ cup loosely packed fresh parsley
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup crumbled feta
- 2 tsp black and white sesame seeds (optional)
- Heat grill to medium. Halve the eggplants and tomatoes lengthwise. Brush cut sides with 2 tbsp olive oil. Grill eggplant, cut-sides down, 4 min. Turn eggplant over and grill another 10 min., until very tender. Meanwhile, grill tomatoes 5 min. per side, until very tender.
- Transfer eggplant to cutting board to cool. Transfer tomatoes to a food processor. When eggplant is cool enough to handle, scrape pulp from skins into food processor. Discard skins.
- To food processor, add the garlic, parsley, tahini, and remaining 2 tbsp olive oil. Pulse until mostly smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a serving bowl and top with the feta and seeds. Serve warm or at room temperature with flatbread or crackers.
- Guiding Stars
- June 2019