Molasses and berries lend a surprising sweetness to this sauce, which is great for basting grilled chicken, pork, or ribs.
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1 (1 - inch) chunk fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 2 (6 oz) containers blueberries
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tbsp molasses (not blackstrap)
- ½ tsp salt
- Thinly slice the green onions. Peel and finely chop the ginger.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter on medium. Add the green onions, ginger, and chili powder. Cook 5 min., stirring occasionally. Add the blueberries, ketchup, lemon juice, allspice, molasses, and salt. Cook 15–20 min., until blueberries burst, stirring occasionally.
- Let mixture cool, then purée in a blender until smooth. Refrigerate up to 2 weeks.
- June 2019