No fondue pot, no problem. Use the gentle heat of the “keep warm” function on your slow cooker for this dippable dinner.
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 1 clove garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ lb thickly sliced white American cheese from deli counter
- ½ lb block Gruyère cheese
- ½ lb block Swiss cheese
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Dippers, such as bread cubes, turkey kielbasa slices, broccoli florets, apple chunks, pretzels, cornichons, mini peppers, and celery sticks
- In a small slow cooker, combine the wine, garlic, and lemon juice. Cover and heat on high while preparing cheeses.
- Chop the American cheese. Coarsely grate the Gruyère and Swiss cheeses. Add cheeses to a medium bowl along with the cornstarch. With clean hands, toss until thoroughly coated.
- Stir cheeses into wine mixture in slow cooker. Cover and cook on high 15 min. Uncover, stir, and reduce temperature to low. Cover and cook 30 min., until completely melted, stirring halfway through. Discard garlic clove. Serve immediately with dippers, leaving slow cooker on “keep warm” function for up to 1 hour, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
Don’t skip the American cheese, which helps the fondue melt and stay smooth and velvety instead of greasy and grainy.
- S4 2019
- Calories 477kcal 24%
- Fat 32.5g 50%
- Saturated fat 19.6g 98%
- Carbs 10.6g 4%
- Sodium 689mg 29%
- 3.1g sugar
- 0.0g fiber
- 27.9g protein
- 113mg cholesterol