Serve up a big bowl of comfort with this stew, which features meltingly tender beef, sweet carrots, fragrant rosemary, and fiber-filled barley.
- 2 lbs top round beef roast
- 4 tbsp canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion
- 2 large carrots
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 (4 oz) can tomato paste
- 1 (32 oz) container Nature's Promise Organic Reduced Sodium Beef Flavored Broth
- ¾ cup pearl barley
- Trim any excess fat from the beef and cut into ¾-inch chunks. Pat dry with paper towels. Season all over with salt and pepper.
- In a 12-inch skillet, heat 3 tbsp oil on medium-high. In batches, add the beef to skillet and cook 2–3 min. per side, until browned on 2 sides. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Meanwhile, chop the onion and carrots. Halve any large mushroom slices.
- To same skillet, add remaining 1 tbsp oil. Add onion and carrots and cook 4 min., stirring often. Add ½ cup water to skillet, stirring and scraping up any browned bits. Transfer to slow cooker, along with mushrooms, garlic, rosemary, tomato paste, broth, and barley. Add ½ cup water. Cover and cook on low 4 hours.
- Uncover and stir stew. Cover and cook on low another 2 hours, until barley and beef are tender. Stir in additional ½–¾ cup water to get desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Garnish with chopped parsley.
- Guiding Stars
- January 2019