A gorgeous, bakery-quality pie is within your reach. This foolproof recipe hurries things along with a simple shortcut for a lattice crust and no blind baking.
- 2 ½ lbs Golden Delicious apples
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp apple pie spice
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 refrigerated ready-to-bake pie crusts
- 1 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tbsp coarse or sanding sugar
- Place a rimmed baking sheet in the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 425°F. Peel, core, and thinly slice the apples. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, apple pie spice, and salt. Add the apples and lemon juice. Toss until well coated.
- Arrange 1 pie crust in a 9-inch pie plate. Tuck edges under to form rim. Add apple filling to pie shell, along with any residual syrup in bowl. Dot apples with bits of the butter.
- Unroll remaining pie crust and, with pizza cutter, cut into ¾-inch strips. Discard 2 end strips. Arrange half of strips across pie, spacing about ¾ inch apart. Place remaining pie crust strips on top, perpendicular to first set, spacing about ¾ inch apart. With fork, press top and bottom crust edges together to seal. Trim off any excess dough pieces from the lattice strips.
- Brush top crust with the heavy cream, then sprinkle evenly with the coarse sugar. Place pie on heated baking sheet in oven. Bake 15 min. Reduce heat to 375°F. Bake another 35–40 min., until top is golden brown. Cool on wire rack before serving.
If the edges are browning too quickly, cover them with strips of foil.
- S8 2018
- Calories 296kcal 15%
- Fat 11.6g 18%
- Saturated fat 4.9g 24%
- Carbs 48.4g 16%
- Sodium 178mg 7%
- 22.1g sugar
- 3.0g fiber
- 1.5g protein
- 5mg cholesterol