Who needs take-out when you can craft this Mexican masterpiece at home that’s brimming with beans, steak, cheese, and more.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup Nature's Promise Organic Long Grain Brown Rice
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ lb flank steak
- 1 (15.5 oz) can pinto beans
- 1 cup roasted red peppers
- 4 burrito-size tortillas
- 1 cup jarred salsa verde
- ½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- ¼ cup low-fat sour cream
- In a medium pot, heat 1 tbsp oil on medium-high. Stir in rice and toast it until slightly golden, 2 min., stirring constantly. Stir in garlic and cook 30 sec. Add broth. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer 45 min. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 5 min.
- Meanwhile, chop flank steak into bite-size pieces. In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat remaining 1 tbsp oil on medium-high and add steak. Season with salt and pepper. Cook steak until done, 2–3 min., stirring constantly. Drain pinto beans and stir into skillet. Cook 1–2 min., until warm.
- Slice peppers. Divide beef mixture, rice, and peppers among tortillas. Top each burrito with 2 tbsp salsa verde, 2 tbsp cheese, and 1 tbsp sour cream.
- Fold bottom of each tortilla over filling, tuck in sides, and tightly roll. Serve with remaining ½ cup salsa verde for dipping.
- Savory Sunday
- April 2018