Grilling the tomatoes and green onions for the salsa gives this inexpensive meal restaurant-worthy flavor.
- 2 firm medium tomatoes
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- cooking spray
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ bunch green onions
- 1 tbsp green jalapeno hot sauce
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 8 small (6-inch) flour tortillas
- Set grill to medium-high. Halve each tomato. Using a spoon, remove the pulp and seeds from the tomatoes. Coat the chicken with cooking spray. Season with the chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Coat green onions and the cut sides of tomatoes with cooking spray. Season with salt and pepper. Place chicken, tomatoes (cut sides down), and green onions on grill. Cook green onions 2 min. per side, until lightly charred, turning occasionally. Cook tomatoes 2 min. per side, until grill marks appear. Cook chicken 6–7 min. per side, until a meat thermometer reads 165°F.
- Transfer tomatoes and green onions to cutting board. Let cool slightly and then chop. Add to a small bowl with hot sauce. Chop the cilantro and stir into salsa. Wrap the tortillas in damp paper towels and microwave 1 min., until warm.
- Slice chicken into strips. Serve chicken and salsa in tortillas.
- May 2018
- $10 Meals