Plop these festive minty marshmallows into hot chocolate or turn them into the most delectable s’mores.
- cooking spray
- 2 ½ tbsp unflavored gelatine
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 10 drops red and/or green food coloring
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup cornstarch
- Line the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish with parchment paper and coat with cooking spray.
- To the bowl of a stand mixer, add ½ cup cold water and sprinkle gelatin over the top. To a medium saucepan fitted with a candy thermometer, add granulated sugar, corn syrup, ½ cup water, and a pinch of salt. Heat to a boil on high. Boil 1–2 min., until sugar is dissolved, stirring constantly.
- Continue to boil, without stirring, 4 min., until candy thermometer reads 240°F.
- With stand mixer on low speed, slowly pour the syrup over the gelatin. Increase mixer speed to high and beat 6–7 min., until mixture is very white, shiny, and has almost tripled in volume. Beat in peppermint extract.
- Transfer marshmallow mixture to baking dish. With wet hands, pat the mixture gently to fill pan in even layer. Drop the food coloring on top of marshmallow mixture. Drag a butter knife through food coloring to create a swirl pattern all over top. Let stand uncovered at least 12 hours or overnight until set. Remove parchment paper from pan and cut marshmallows into squares. To package, roll each square in a combination of confectioners sugar and cornstarch before placing in gift bag or box.
- December 2017