The sweetness of the apples and cornbread are balanced by the meaty flavor of the sausage for a delicious variation on a classic.
- 2 Gala apples
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ lb uncooked breakfast sausage link
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 (18 oz) pkg prepared cornbread
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 green onions
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Core and chop the apples. In a large skillet, melt the butter on medium. Add the onion and cook 5 min., until fragrant and translucent, stirring often. Meanwhile, remove the sausages from casings and add to onion. Cook 5 min., until browned, breaking up the sausage with a spatula. Stir in the apples and cook 4 min., until apples are soft. Stir in the thyme and season with salt (in moderation) and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cut the cornbread into large cubes. In a large bowl, gently combine the cornbread and sausage mixture. Add just enough of the broth to moisten. Transfer to a greased 8x8-inch baking dish. Bake 25 min., until top is golden brown. Thinly slice the green onions on an angle and sprinkle over stuffing.
- November 2017