Chicken soup gets a Mexican twist featuring spicy jalapeño and crunchy tortilla strips.
- 1 lb skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 corn tortillas
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans
- 1 (10 oz) bag frozen corn, thawed
- 1 (15 oz) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 tbsp cumin
- Cut the chicken into 2-inch chunks. In a medium pot, combine the broth and chicken. Heat to a boil on high. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cook 8–10 min., until chicken is cooked.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°F. Slice the tortillas into ¼-inch strips. Lay tortillas on a parchment-lined baking sheet and toss with 1 tbsp olive oil. Cook 15 min., until golden brown and crispy, stirring halfway through.
- Remove the core and the seeds from the jalapeño and finely chop. In a heavy-bottom pot, heat remaining olive oil on medium. Add the onion and jalapeño. Cook 2 min., until soft.
- Transfer cooked chicken to a bowl and shred, reserving the broth. Drain and rinse the beans. To the pot with the onion, add the corn, beans, tomatoes, chicken broth, and cumin. Heat to a simmer and cook 15 min. Season with salt (in moderation) and pepper. Stir in chicken and cook 1 min., until chicken is warm.
- Cut chicken into chunks. In pot, simmer chicken in broth 8 min., until cooked.
- Preheat oven. Thinly slice corn tortillas. Toss with olive oil and bake 15 min., until crispy.
- Core, seed, and finely chop jalapeño. In separate pot, cook jalapeño and onion 2 min., until soft.
- Shred chicken and drain beans. Add beans to pot along with corn, tomatoes, broth, and cumin. Simmer 15 min.
- Stir chicken into soup. Cool and refrigerate. Store tortilla strips in resealable bag at room temperature.
- Add soup to a medium pot and heat to boiling on high. Reduce heat and simmer 6 min., until hot.
- Garnish with tortilla strips to serve.
Garnish soups with fresh, diced avocado and a squeeze of lime for an extra kick.
- S7 2017
- Calories 476kcal 24%
- Fat 13.2g 20%
- Saturated fat 2.3g 11%
- Carbs 53.9g 18%
- Sodium 781mg 33%
- 6.3g sugar
- 12.2g fiber
- 40.3g protein
- 73mg cholesterol