This fresh take on a classic Shepherd’s Pie gets its twist from a standard cupcake pan. Make it your own by adding diced, seasonal veggies to the mix.
- 1 (24 oz) pkg homestyle mashed potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and prepare the potatoes in the microwave according to package directions. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a heavy-bottom pan over medium-high heat. Cook the onions and carrots stirring occasionally until slightly softened.
- Add the remaining oil and stir in the ground beef, tomato paste, and Worcestershire sauce. Cook mixture for an additional 5 min., until no pinkness remains. Reduce heat to a simmer, stir in the peas and cook for 1 min.
- Line a standard cupcake pan with paper liners. Divide the meat mixture evenly among the cavities and top each evenly with the mashed potatoes. Bake for 15 min. and broil for 1 min. more or until the mashed potatoes are lightly golden and toasted. Shepherd’s pies are ready when an internal thermometer reads 145°F. Allow pies to cool to room temperature before transferring to a container and setting in the freezer.
- To reheat, leave pies in the fridge overnight to thaw and simply bake at 350°F for 10–15 min. or until pies are warmed through and an internal thermometer reaches 145°F.
Sunday prep steps
- Preheat oven. Prepare mashed potatoes according to package directions.
- In a skillet, heat oil. Add diced onion and carrot. Cook until softened.
- Add ground beef, tomato paste, and Worcestershire sauce. Cook 5 min. Stir in peas.
- Line cupcake pan. Divide mixture among cups. Top with mashed potatoes.
- Bake 15 min., until internal temperature is 145°F. Cool, wrap individually, and freeze.
Night before serving
- Place pies in the refrigerator to thaw overnight
20 min. before serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bake 15 min., until warm.
- Savory Sunday 7 2017
- Savory Sunday
- S7 video
- Calories 360kcal 18%
- Fat 20.8g 32%
- Saturated fat 6.2g 31%
- Carbs 25.3g 8%
- Sodium 462mg 19%
- 3.7g sugar
- 3.4g fiber
- 17.4g protein
- 53mg cholesterol